Monday, August 3, 2015

One Of A Kind

This summer I have been learning a lot about Antiques mostly because sense my grandmother passed we have had to go through a lot of antiques both my grandmother and grandfather on my mom's side sold antiques it became their special hobby they did together. Looking through all of these things I find so interesting because everything has it's own story and dates back to a time where everything seemed so much more simple. Now I have always been somewhat obsessed with past decades and learning what it was like during that specific time period. The funny part about me being so interested is that for as long as I can remember I said that I was born in the wrong decade because I'd wonder what if I was a girl in the 50's would have I dressed in a poodle skirts and little cardigans and gone out to the drive in with my friends. Or perhaps to be in a car at on the way to a diner listening to Elvis or Chuck Berry on the radio and once we got to the diner and ordered an ice cream then being asked if I would "go steady".  I also have always said that I would have killed to go to Woodstock because I think truly at heart in a past life I was a flower child because I love the whole artistic vibe that era had. Actually when I was a sophomore (2011) I had to take US history and I was so into it all because we were reading out of the textbook and I flipped the page and there was a picture of what the flyer for Woodstock looked like and it listed the performers that were going to be playing and I giggled to myself because I knew of every single person on that list and liked most of their music Personally my top two favorites were Janis Joplin and Bob Dylan. Yeah I was that weird girl in class geeky-ing out about something that happened over 42 years ago. For the 70's the thing that got me was the whole Glam Scene that was rocking during that time. Artists like David Bowie and KISS where wearing women's clothing and make up which for the time was very odd now I look at it and see they were the first people to bring in the concept of gender bending. That is where basically you don't have to look like the gender that you are ex. boys wearing women's clothes and make up. I liked that these people were trying to shock others because wouldn't life be boring if everything just stayed the same all the time? The 80's are a huge decade for me I would loved to cut my teeth on being able to see life on the sunset strip back then with these huge bands like Guns N Roses, Motley Crue, Poison, Van Halen, Skid Row, Warrant all getting their start living and breathing for the music that they were creating. Also I love movies that were made back then like The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Buller's Day Off, Pretty In Pink, Labyrinth, Footloose. There is something about the way movies and tv were made back then that just seems sorta magical too me. Yet I'm not very big into the 90's I mean of course I will have loved to see Nirvana and Pearl Jam but that being sad I do love the all of Disney movies that were made and shows like Full House and all the nickelodeon shows that were created. As you can see of my examples I used music, fashion, and media like movies and tv to show what was popular back then also with some of my personal faves mixed in. I guess I will always love things like this that tell a story :) - Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment