Friday, July 31, 2015

Music Fave- The 1975

The Boys names from left to right: George, Adam, Ross, and Matty 
The 1975 is a very interesting band because there are many standards that they are breaking because they aren't a typical Manchester/UK band that is cause most of their influences growing up were American. Many including Michael Jackson, Boys II Men, and Motown greats like Diana Ross, Smokey Robinson just to name a few. So when you listen to their music there is this underline R&B sound                                                                                                 coming through. A quote that Matty has said is " Our band sounds like if John Hughes directed a movie about our life". That quote is totally them too a perfect tee.
Album Cover




The first time I saw or even heard them was one morning when I was getting ready for school. I just prepared a quick breakfast and sat down to watch the top 20 countdown on VH1 then their video for Chocolate came on and boom right then and there I turned into a fan. I loved how catchy the song was and also liked the trick of hiding suggestive lyrics about drug use by changing the words around a little. For some reason I like weird and odd uses of normal words probably why I'm such a music lover because I always have liked how a different way of saying a word can change and or affect someone so much. Anyways back to the 1975, after looking up the band I knew that these four guys were going to mean so much more than I thought. Both Adam and Ross don't really say all that much so that leaves Matty and George to do the interviews and wow they are so insightful, smart, poetic, and just overall really cool guys to talk too. There was something I had noticed while first finding out about them which was I really do like music with a sense of dangerous to it. Meaning that music that maybe people in my generation (born in 1995 so that makes me nineteen) find "old" or "dated" I actually find really cool which is where my love for RockNRoll came in I'm sure. The 1975 have this air of danger about there music perhaps it's the essence of hinting at using drugs, sex, drinking, trespassing onto proprety stuff like that where it's like I know it's bad but I kinda that feeling of danger that excites me. Just everything about this band too me is very thoughtful and fun some of my favorite songs are Menswear, Falling For You, Robbers, Medicine, and She Way Out. Something that I thought was interesting to find out is that Matty wrote the song Robbers based on the movie True Romance which is one of my all time favorite movies. Both the movie and the song I loved is that you can be so in love with a person that it truly doesn't matter if it's just you and that other person facing the rest of the world to me there is something very romantic about that notion of only needing that one person. So to end my rant about how awesome this band and these guys are just go check them out! - Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment