Sunday, August 7, 2016

Prompted Writing-The Professor: Write about a teacher that has influenced you.

I've had my fair share of unique teachers/professors in my education process but one of my all time favorites was a guy named Mr. Currier who taught a class called Theory Of Knowledge TOK for short it could be described as a philosophy course because we talked a lot about different ways of thinking, how social norms are affected by different kinds of culture, and why people react the way they do. The reason why I took this class was because I was told by an upperclassmen that the class was very interesting and fun to be a part of which is something I looked for while looking for electives to take. It was an elective for a whole year instead of just an semester which was something I liked because I was starting to run out of elective options! As a student I'm always a bit nervous walking into a new class but for some strange reason that nervous energy just wasn't there I knew I was going to have a lot of fun. The course was largely based on class discussions which usually scared the crap out of me because growing up I had a speech issue which I had a stuttering problem so being put on the spot in class really scared me because I didn't want people to make fun of me for my stutter but actually by knowing that there would be a discussion every day of class having the practice of speaking to a class really helped my confidence. I laugh at some of the strange discussions we had one being Is The World Round Or Square? of course everyone was like what are you on Mr. Currier the world is round duh! Then he brought up that do we just all think the world is round because that's what people have always told us or do we believe it because it's really true? He always had amazing courter points to make us the students think oh wait he does have a point. Another discussion I remember very well is one where he wrote two words up on the white board them being Naked vs Nude and we had to come up with ways of how they are different from each other and words to place under them ex. Naked Juice: A type of juice that is all natural. It made for a very inspiring discussion because everyone who was speaking would be taking aback by what someone else had said or was surprised by someone's way of thinking. I can remember always leaving that class knowing I had learned something which in a class in high school is hard to come by especially when its almost summer or when it's your senior year and you can see the finish line! haha
I know that this class had such a huge impact on the ways of how I think, the way I speak, and also how I learn best which has made me a better person because by having been taught so many amazing lessons on how somebody should go through life it changed me for the better!
So I thank Mr. Currier for being one of the helpful teachers I've ever had!

Love, Tay

No comments:

Post a Comment