Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Music Love- Guns N Roses

Members From Left To Right- Duff McKagan,Slash,Axl Rose, Steven Alder,
Izzy Stradlin 
I've always have said this band was in my top 3 favorite artists of all time because they fit so well into the classic rock era that I fell so in love with. All though they could be classified within Glam metal, heavy metal, and also an 80's band which often gets a bad rep. Expect that they made kick ass music that still lives on today especially since recently they started to tour as "Guns N Roses" all original
members are touring together again! Expect for Izzy probably for the reason being I've seen interviews they had done in the past he seems a behind the scenes guy instead of a okay I'm gonna show them what I can do type of musician who is often surrendering to lots of drama. Now I can't remember where exactly I first heard them it could have been when I realized we had a channel called "classic VH1" it played rock music, alternative music, and metal music. Everything that the other VH1 channel doesn't play anymore because it's not current. I got hooked watching and learning about all of these different bands. While on a summer break I'd say of 0'9 because my mom was going back and fourth from our house to my grandmothers house because of then recent medical issues so that meant I was home alone most of that time I need to entertain myself and that's how I got into a lot of the rock music I love to this day. "Welcome To The Jungle" was my first introduction to their catalog and it made me crave more it was this new and exciting sound. Axl's voice amazed me especially since he could go from that screeching falsetto to this low primal growl in a matter of seconds. Next is a song called "It's so Easy" there is a real punk element to this song it's like a Romans/Blondie moment the lyrics tell a story of a spoiled rockstar who gets anything and anyone he pleases. I do love the irony because they never complained about their lifestyle of being rich and famous. The lead guitar work that Slash does it's so intricate yet with a very raw sounding vibe I like to say he makes it "Cry" meaning he draws out each and every note he plays to create that longing sound. Then we have Paradise City a wonderful summer anthem the mix of the drum pattern Alder plays mixed with bass and lead guitar is pure genius! A shift in the typo of music is the ballads they made are some of my favorite songs ever made. First being "Sweet Child O'mine" the iconic opening riff fills my ears and veins soaking up the amazing sounds always just calms me down whenever I'm having a tough day. What gets me are the lyrics in which Axl is talking about his girlfriend at the time about finding solace in somebody that no matter what that person can somehow save you. It's very emotional which is something I always find very interesting about Axl and the way he writes. Another favorite part of the song is when Duff sings the "where do we go now" it sounds so cool! Plus when the power note from Axl and Slash's guitar hit at the same time!!!! ;) it does something to my heart every single time! Moving on is a song called "Knocking On Heavens Door" its a cover of a Bob Dylan song. For me this song is a very emotional one because it helped me through my teenage angst years and hard times. I can't tell you guys how many times this song has been playing while I'm bailing my eyes out to the point of where you're crying so hard that you feel like you can't breathe at all that real and very honest emotion is invested into this song it's like if I listen to it enough times I slowly start to calm myself down and realize I will be okay there's really something magical about this one for me I hold this specific song so close to my heart that I'd love to get a tattoo of some of the lyrics they mean that much to me. Lastly is November Rain now this one is so sentimental because it's attached to a memory of a past relationship we rode the same bus and our bus driver would listen to rock stations and one day towards Thanksgiving break it was pouring down rain and I was really upset because for some reason Thanksgiving after when my grandpa died always felt cold like no one wanted to be there and I didn't want to pretend to act like a family so I was telling him all about it as tears fell from my eyes he looked me straight in my eyes pushed my hair away from my face and told me "Everything will be okay you will get through it" and I laid my head on his shoulder and listened to the sound of rain and the song playing which later I found out was November Rain. Every time I hear it now I smile because of him :)

Love, Tay

No comments:

Post a Comment