Thursday, February 11, 2016

Music Fave- The Black Crowes

Band Members: 








Chris Robinson – vocals (1985–1989)
Rich Robinson – guitar (1985–1989)
Keith Joyner – bass (1985–1987)
Jeff Sullivan – drums (1985–1987)
Ted Selke – bass (1987–1988)
Scott Shamel – bass (1988-1989)
Steve Gorman – drums (1987–1989)


The Black Crowes are one of my favorite bands for a few reason the major one being is that they created great songs. I'm one of those people that really is into lyrics because of the messages that they can bring to people so I love bands that have skilled songwriters in them it makes them more real meaning that it's not somebody just telling them okay stand here and sing this it's so much more personal. Another reason why I love this band is because their genre in music is Southern RocknRoll. It's one of those cross genres that I find very interesting because of that wonderful songwriting skill country artists have but is coming alive with that rich, exciting, and powerful sound that rock is so well known for. One of my favorite songs is actually a cover called Hard To Handle by Otis Redding this song is just straight up party song and it's so much fun to listen to. There a great line in the song that goes "I'm advertising love for free so come place your ad with me" I'm sorry but that is so funny. The vibe of this song brings me back to a really nice summer day while just chilling out with friends playing some tunes and this comes on and everyone is up and dancing and singing along. Another thing I like is the twang of the singer Chris Robinson's voice has it gives the sound so much richness sort like adding chocolate onto already really sweet ice cream. It coats the sound in a great way. Now lets talk about that guitar work wow can you say guitar guru?! I sure can Rich Robinson brings that rocknroll flare to the music because his guitar playing style is so typical down and dirty guitar sound we all know and love. I was shocked by how much I liked the drums Jeff Sullivan has a real groove when he is playing drums that adds a bit of soul to the mix it's a surprising element but fits so perfectly into their sound. Next of course we have to talk about probably one of my all time favorite songs ever "She Talks To Angels" when a singer of a rock band can start the song by singing with only light strumming of a guitar behind him it shows how well he can really sing because it's showcasing his vocals mostly. I recently watching Chris do an interview about this song and he said he wrote at age 19 and he was just creating a character within the song but as the years went on people kept telling him how that one song related to there lives so now the story of what the song is actually about comes from the fans and how they relate to it. Hearing that to it really made me think so much more about what he said means because I always have loved knowing how artists came up with the songs they wrote and knowing the backstory of them but now I find it so much more worth it to make your own story for that song because it only matters if you somehow relate to it. I smile as I'm writing this because it really did make me look at music in a different way than I did before so now I thank him for doing that for me. So I think everyone should check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment