Saturday, June 18, 2016

Album Review-Hot Rocks by The Rolling Stones

 The Rolling Stones are one of the biggest names in rock n roll also one of the greatest selling artists of all time. Funny thing is for some reason I didn't like their music until recently. I've always been a music listener that wanted to understand the lyrics behind the song itself with rolling stone songs I think it takes a certain age to be able to get their music and mine happened to be 20 years old the age I am currently. It's also a big deal that all these guys are in there 70's but still touring with the original line up of course without Brian Jones who passed away in 1969. Within this album there are so many amazing songs but my top five would include
1. You Can't Always Get What You Want- 1969 I I love this track because it's acoustic it shows the real musicianship of the guys playing their instruments and Mick's voice lightly floating over it. I always imagine hearing this song when it's pouring rain outside something very homey and comforting about this too me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM_p1Az05Jo < best performance

2. Brown Sugar- 1971
This track is classic stones because it's filled with attitude and a pinch of filth which is the perfect brew for a good rock song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B0Y3LUqr1Q < great live performance!

3. Gimme Shelter- 1970
As for this track it's the background vocals that I love so much that powerful soul/R&B vibe. It slowly began as a signature sound for there band therefore many new up and coming bands after them also wanted black backing vocals for their recordings/live shows. Something flows about having the soulful sound mixing with Mick's vocals and Keith's blues guitar playing it creates magic. The lyrics are also very dark because of talking about murder and rape it's almost acts as a PSA because they speak about very real and raw issues that the world faces each and every day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPJXEMKtTLE < Wonderful live performance!
                                                                                   4. Honky Tonk Woman- 1969
                                                                                       The thought of The Rolling Stones doing country would make any rock n roll fan laugh themselves sick but something worked in their favor because it's one of the best songs they have ever created. It's that southern rock feel before the genre was even created but then also a surprise because they are British so it kept fans always guessing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In0vatNH-k8< I like this video because it's one of those amazing live concert DVD's that people still watch to this very day it also shows how much both men and women liked the band it's great music history :)
                                                                                 5. Ruby Tuesday- 1967
                                                                                      Of course this isn't one of their classic hits but it's one of mine for a very special reason and it always makes me smile. The first time I heard this was back in October of this year while I was seeing this guy let's call him "A" he was unique because he was as into music as I am he was even a musician he played guitar and bass and even sang a little bit but only to me which was the sweetest thing I'd ever heard up to that moment. He would sing this song just to make me laugh whenever I'd walk into class. Sadly nothing came out of us hanging out together but now whenever I hear this song I think of how much fun I had with him. I think that's one of the best things about sharing music that you love with somebody because no matter how that relationship ended you always have a beautiful memory of the time you two spent together. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvp6gseKJS8 < Something so broadway about this particular performance of the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment